Free Counter
ab scissors

Tales from a small town

Short stories about life in a small town. Non-fiction. Great reading.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Friday the 13th part II

OK, I'll admit, the last post was entirely too long. I'll shorten this up.

So, I'm at my daughter's friend's house. They're a British couple. The mom grew up in England, but her parents are Serbian immigrants. The British couple turned me on to what they called "Serbian orange juice." Whew! (It's really not orange juice; it's plum brandy, straight from Serbia, and it'll knock you on your ass! :) It tastes just like Florida orange juice, though. Man, is that stuff good.

Anyway, I'm getting a little buzz on, and I'm remembering what the president of the Farm Bureau said. You see, the business leaders in our county are trying to get something passed called unigov. That's where they get rid of the mayor, city council, county commissioners, township trustees, and all forms of village government, and they have just one guy run the entire county.

I thought, going into my meeting with the president of the farm bureau, that if there was one person who would be against unigov, it'd be him. After all, unigov would get rid of their rural way of life for good. So much for what I think. I asked the president of the farm bureau what he thought of unigov. This is what he said:

"I was against it at first myself. But after talking to the business leaders in town, they pointed something out to me that made alot of sense. They said, 'You're thinking like a farmer; trouble is, you're not a farmer, you're a developer. Unigov's good for developers. You're just farming until you get the right price for your land, aren't you? Because of that, you're a developer, not a farmer. Unigov is good for developers. Think about it.' "

It's no accident that rich people are rich. This is what I'm up against. It's like pusing a string up hill. But lucky for them, the challenge of pusing a string uphill, is like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:33 PM, January 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    man alive. they cant get rid of all those people! what county is this anyway?

     
  • At 4:35 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Boris Yeltsin said…

    Oh yes they can! You'd be amazed at what money will do. Louisville, KY, Indianapolis, IN and St. Paul MN all have unigov. Our state representitive is working on an amendment to our state's charter, that would allow this county to experiment with unigov.

    Once all of those people are out of the way, the big corporations only have one ass to kiss. They don't mind if that ass is one of their own, which is what this is all about.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home