Free Counter
ab scissors

Tales from a small town

Short stories about life in a small town. Non-fiction. Great reading.

Friday, January 27, 2006

You wouldn't believe it!

This is just unreal! There were a bunch of people at work who wanted to know about the Maytag dishwasher factory in Tennesee. We were all under the impression that all of Maytag's factories were unionized, so we thought that under the merger, Whirlpool would undoubtedly choose it's own dishwasher factory (the one I work at) over Maytag's. (Whirlpool and Maytag are merging, pending SEC approval.)

Well, I decided I'd go to the Jackson, Tennessee newspaper to see if I could get some answers from old newspaper articles, or whatever. It turns out that unlike our newspaper, they charge for articles out of their archives. I found out their paper charges $2.60 per article, so I thought, "screw it."

I did check out the rest of the paper though. As it turns out just by coincidence, Jackson, Tennessee (home of Maytag's dishwasher plant) is trying to push "unigov" [they call it "Metro Government," though] onto their voters - at the same time my hometown (home of Whirlpool's dishwasher plant) is trying to push unigov onto their voters - at the same time Whirlpool and Maytag are merging. Hmmmm. Isn't that odd?

It's not a secret anymore! The Jackson Sun has an online forum where a person can post their thoughts. Guess what? I posted something against their "Metro Government" ideas. In the post, I even said why I was against it. I made my post complete with a poll. I thought the poll would be at the end of the post, not above it, but oh, well. As of the time I've written this, there have been 2 people who've participated in the poll. They both liked the article. Also, as of the time of me writing this post, something like 62 people have read my post. Just in case you're curious, here it is http://cgi.jacksonsun.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1138334725/0

When you click on the link, scroll down past the poll to see my post. It's there.

Fight the power! If you're in any way politically active, I would highly encourage you to click on the above link, to make the "powers-that-be" in Jackson, Tennessee a little nervous about what's being uncovered. The more we can increment that "hit counter," the more nervous I'm sure they'll become. Let's do this for the "little guy!" Please - and have your friends click on the link. Let's show 'em what can happen when the little guy gets involved, so they don't think they can just run our lives without worry. Let's try to get as many people as possible to click on the above link!!!!!!

5 Comments:

  • At 8:08 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger MZPEACH said…

    I'll help out as much as I can.

     
  • At 8:35 PM, January 27, 2006, Blogger Boris Yeltsin said…

    Thanks! All I'm asking for, is for people to click on the link. I really appreciate everything you do!!!

     
  • At 4:52 PM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i went there. just have to read that stuff a few times before i really get it! haha.

     
  • At 2:57 PM, February 01, 2006, Blogger MZPEACH said…

    Hope all is well Boris. The more I read the article, the more I like it. Good whistle blower. You are very intelligent and hands on, and there is not many people like you in this world.

     
  • At 1:10 PM, February 24, 2006, Blogger Possum said…

    Hi Boris,

    Liked your work from II's blog and stopped in to see what was up.

    Your comment on Unigov from Jackson TN, seems to be that "unified governments bring in low paying jobs causing outsourcing to Mexico" ?

    Just a bit pessimistic, aren't we?

    Personally, I don't really care about how little someone makes at Wal-Mart or Jim-Joe-Bob's Mfg. I work my tail off for a commission. If I don't sell, I don't get paid. This has led me to very firmly believe that if you cannot make enough doing what you are doing then you need to find a job where you can make enough. OR you should live on what you can make.

    It sucks, I'll admit. Is there any other way that is fair or makes sense?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home