Free Counter
ab scissors

Tales from a small town

Short stories about life in a small town. Non-fiction. Great reading.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Pride and prejudice

Pride:

Our middle son (the one with the severe asthma) came down stairs this morning in his helmet and shoulder pads. This is his first year of football, and I don't want this to sound corny or over the top, but I felt almost as much pride seeing him in football equipment, as I did when my wife walked down the isle in her wedding gown. I don't know what it was, but I felt this overwhelming sense of pride when seeing him in his helmet and shoulder pads.

He also has been labeled as a kid from the "wrong side of the tracks," because he got caught making out with this hot girl. Her parents actually told us we live on the wrong side of Lima Ave., and as a result, she isn't allowed to associate with our son. The reason that came out is, her parents were seemingly all pissed off about the "making out" thing, but when my wife pointed out that their daughter has been making out with a bunch of rich boys from her side of Lima Ave., "that was different." That's when it was explained to us that we're from the "wrong side" of Lima Ave.

Our son's been all down on himself lately, because the mothers of the clique of kids he used to hang out with (all from the "other side" of Lima Ave.) have been calling up other parents, telling them what a scoundrel our son is, and how they should keep their daughters away from him, because he's, "nothing but trouble." I can't believe it's gotten to this, but it has.

Getting all suited up has helped out his ego alot.

7 Comments:

  • At 12:14 PM, July 30, 2006, Blogger Intellectual Insurgent said…

    I didn't know people like that still existed. Isn't that out of "Pretty And Pink"?

     
  • At 12:02 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger Chris the Hippie said…

    Oh geeze - I know families that have up and moved across town to get their children out of the stigma of being from "that side of town." It exists.

    I hope your son does well!

     
  • At 3:25 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger mrsleep said…

    People will always come up with silly ass excuses to make themselves appear to be better than you. Phuk em.

    My sons all played Pop Warner Football. They started in 7th grade, and got good experience for playing High School Football.

    Enjoy it, as it passes too quickly.
    The very first scrimmage our oldest son ever had, he got an "open the floodgates" bloody nose. Mrs. Sleep just freaked out.
    Our son came to the sideline, the coach wiped off his face, then jammed cotton up his nose, and he went back in. Something Fathers take pride in, and Mom's realize men are stupid.

     
  • At 10:34 PM, August 01, 2006, Blogger Lyn said…

    hey big guy, i'm sure your son will get over soon... perhaps a pat on his shoulder might help?
    *wink*

     
  • At 10:34 AM, August 08, 2006, Blogger MZPEACH said…

    What a stud!...lol Yeah, football!!! I loved this post. I needed it, after the emotional rollercoaster I have been through on this blog...lol. :)

     
  • At 11:04 AM, August 08, 2006, Blogger Boris Yeltsin said…

    II: in this town, you're either filthy rich, or from "the wrong side of the tracks." The filthy rich either own their own businesses or are "higher-ups" at a Fortune 500 company. If you're a "higher-up" at the oil company, you're the cream of the crop. They're the ones at the little-league soccer games who all sit together with their matching, oil company camping chairs with the built-in beer cozies on the arm, and they all go to the Presbyterian church on the south side of town.

    I coached one of my daughters' little-league soccer teams, and we beat the kids from the oil company (like a rug I might add) and the coach from the other team refused to shake my hand at the end of the game (which is customary) or sign the referee card because he thought the reffing "was fixed." He actually filed a greivance with the league over "bad officiating." I called the office about it; they thought it was laughable and told me not to worry about it - but that's how petty things are here.

    Chris: thanks

    mrsleep: I agree: joke 'em if they can't take a phuck!

    Yes, the moms to tend to freak out. I guess that's what moms do. (And they do!)

    TheLastRockStar: great to hear from you again, even if it has been years!! Don't be a stranger anymore!

    explicist: I told him: "Don't get her pregnant!!!" We had "the talk," if you know what I mean. Then I said, "make out with her all you want, just don't tell your mother I told you this, but for God's sake, don't get her pregnant - or do anything that might even remotely lead to her getting pregnant."

    GP: Yeah, it has been a roller coaster ride! I've always said, if my wife could just get the financial thing down, she'd be damn near the perfect woman. Of course, in her defense, she thinks the political crusader in me hasn't been helpful, and for the time being, she's probably right. Around here, word travels fast and the cliques are tight. The only advantages to living around here are, very low crime and very good schools. Other than that, it sucks!

     
  • At 3:40 PM, September 14, 2006, Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said…

    09 14 06

    Boris:
    That is so trippy. Yeah, I bet as your son grows up and gets over his asthma and turns into a football stud those jerkoffs will be singing another tune.

    It always happens like that in small towns. I recall moving to my town seventeen years ago with my parents and siblings and man oh man that kinda crap was everywhere. The teachers were in with certain parents and didn't grade fairly all the way down to rumors etc.

    I am happy your son has you as a dad though because you can assauge his feelings with humor and love of football. I honestly think that football is one of the biggest confidence builders for young men! When/If I ever have a son, we will play together because I want him to have that confidence!

    Best wishes:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home